But, baking actually is more than just a hobby or a simple pastime. Baking is a way to improve emotional condition or health. It improves one's well-being and mental health, and allows one to use positive energy to bake something good, something delicious, something beautiful. Here are some of the reasons why.
1. It gives the person a feeling of being in control. The process of baking itself which involves a standard procedure to follow makes a depressed person feel that he is in control, because in baking, you can control your procedures, your materials and mostly, everything else. The winner of the Great British Cook Off who suffered from depression said that being able to take control on the amount of sugar and other ingredients and the cracking of the eggs, makes him feel he is in full control and helps in his erratic emotions.
2. Baking is simple and easy to do. With the right guidance and the right tools, anyone can learn to bake perfectly and be extremely good at it. Because of its simplicity many people are able to master it, allowing them to have something fulfilling and worthwhile to do and therefore helping them to cope with negative emotions that comes along with depression.
3. It allows anyone to create something beautiful and satisfying and pleasing to others. Everyone battling with depression knows that depression is associated with the feeling of lack, of being unpretty, of being unsuccessful. But, when you are able to create something beautiful, it helps you look at yourself a little more differently. Melanie Denyer host of Depressed Cake Shop in London said that she had always turned to her kitchen to help her create something beautiful, something tasty for others to enjoy when all that she feels inside are negative emotions, stress, pain and suffering.
4. It helps someone suffering from depression to appreciate kitchen tools like Rozotti Silicone Baking Mat Bundle (6-Piece Set) 2 Half and 2 Quarter Sheets baking mat which helps avoid greasing and use of parchment paper and to discover more kitchen tools and techniques, allowing him to feel useful, competent and able.
5. The act of baking is therapeutic in itself. But it is also therapeutic when you learn to connect more to others and show your appreciation and affection to them by giving them something that you baked yourself. The simple act of making another individual happy is a perfect way to lift your spirits especially when you feel down and lonely.